Copaiba essential oil has been described as having a spicy, woody aroma. It is extracted from Copaifera officinalis, a tree native to the Amazon rainforest in Central and South America. The essential oil is steam distilled from the copaiba oleoresin, a substance made up of resin and essential oils.
The collection process of the oleoresin is unique among essential oils—it is tapped from the tree in a similar way to how maple trees are for their syrup. The oleoresin is then steam distilled to produce the essential oil.
For centuries, South Americans have used copaiba resin to promote the health of the respiratory, digestive, urinary, cardiovascular, and immune systems. As reported by the first European settlers of Central and South America, the indigenous American Indians utilized the soothing properties of copaiba oil-resin by applying it both to their newborns and to warriors coming home from battle.1 Current research offers an explanation for the traditional use of Copaiba oil, suggesting that Copaiba essential oil is calming, soothing, and supportive to the skin and nervous system.*
Copaiba’s main chemical component is beta-caryophyllene, a chemical similar to cannabinoids found in cannabis that may protect nerve cells and have benefits for the cardiovascular and immune systems.* Caryophyllene, a bicyclic sesquiterpene that is also found in Black Pepper. While caryophyllene is responsible for some of the bioactive properties of Copaiba, many other properties of the oil are attributed to diterpenes uniquely found in Copaiba.1
Directions for Use
Our Favorite Uses
Copaiba is a versatile oil. See some of our favorite ways to use Copaiba below:
- Keep your skin clear and clean while reducing the appearance of blemishes by adding Copaiba to your toner or by applying it directly to skin before applying moisturizer.
- Copaiba blends well with Roman Chamomile, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Frankincense, or Ylang Ylang. Using any of these oils that appeal to you, create your own personal fragrance in a roller bottle, and then fill the rest of the bottle with Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Most of the body can benefit from Copaiba—it supports the cardiovascular, immune, digestive, nervous, and immune system.* To take advantage of these benefits for any of these systems, add one to two drops to water, juice, or make your own tea using warm water and honey.
- When you’re facing a stressful day ahead or feeling worried, diffusing Copaiba’s woody scent can help calm any anxious feelings you may be experiencing.
- Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule to take advantage of the antioxidants—the substance that stops potential damage to your cells from oxidation.*
- Use in a calming bath by adding two to three drops to body wash before mixing it in the water.
Did you know?
- The Amazon rainforest represents over half of the planet’s remaining rainforests. doTERRA is proud to partner with a large network of copaiba harvesters that sustainably collect their oleoresin and ensure that the trees will be around for years to come.
- Copaiba trees can grow to more than 100 feet tall.
Where to Buy Copaiba Essential Oil
When shopping for essential oils, you’ll want to ensure that the oils you choose are pure and high quality, in order to yield the benefits that each oil holds. Each doTERRA essential oil, including Copaiba is responsibly sourced, tested, and produced in a way that guarantees a high quality grade. Click Here to access my online store or feel free to contact me.for a free consult.
Many essential oils available for purchase contain filler substances and contaminants that weaken the purity and power of the oil. However, at doTERRA, we know that a pure bottle of essential oil has the potential to change lives; that’s why doTERRA’s mission is to provide essential oils that are highly effective and free of additives and harmful contaminants. We guarantee pure essential oils through the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® quality protocol. This protocol includes a series of strict tests that ensure the essentials oils we sell are free from filler substances or impurities—making the doTERRA essential oils you purchase powerful and pure
Possible skin sensitivity. Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas.